my 2 cents: an article i wrote for canadian+handmade website

i was approached to write something for canadian+handmade, a website highlighting canadian artists and handcrafters. the article was published today. if you have some time, please head over there and read what i shared.

if you do read it, you might get the sense that it’s something i’m passionate about…and you would be right.

…go on. just one little click

This entry was posted in canadiana, featured!, thinking out loud and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to my 2 cents: an article i wrote for canadian+handmade website

Congratulations on your publications. Beautiful words and images : ) I’m addicted to the world of homemade/handmade. Always unique, and usually better quality, too!

2. imadeitso says:

thank you van. there’s so much more i could have said about the virtues of handmade :) ah well, more another time.

you write so well!! I’m proud of you!

super article Ana
    and you know me
    I had to add my two cents ;)

5. Halima says:

It is so sad that handmade today is seen as almost a waste of time when you can just purchase what you need at the store. As you bring out handmade was also a vital part of survival for everyone in times past and more – the passing down of knowledge and the preseving of a way of life for the next generation.
    I enjoyed your article very much Ana, very thought provoking and well done.

6. imadeitso says:

patty and halima ~ thanks for taking the time to read and reflect. i think the idea behind handmade either resonates with people, or it doesn’t. i’m not sure why exactly (and think about this often!) but i think value systems come into play. not saying one is better than the other, but the worth of something seems to depend a lot on perspective, need, desire, attitude, availability, usefulness, etc etc etc…

7. imadeitso says:

and i just found this, about the incas using yarn in place of written language. just putting it here for reference and for anyone who may be interested…

8. steph says:

Great article, Ana, and thanks for the link to the Incas article. Over the summer I started rereading Susannah Moodie, and have a stack Moodie/Parr Traill related books out of the library right now. I have been pondering how do an MA in English (work-related) that integrates knitting and other handcrafts with Canadian literature (fun-related)…this is my favourite place to come to when I start to think it’s a ridiculous idea. ;-)

9. DogsMom says:

I think your 2 cents is worth very much more.
    Thank you for opening my eyes.

getting around to visit a wee bit late…
    Loved your article before Ana
    perfect ‘change’

11. abby says:

Hi there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be okay. I’m undoubtedly enjoying your
    blog and look forward to new updates.