quilling: how we made our cards – part 2 of 3

you can read part 1 here, where i gathered the materials needed to create a quilled card:

• long thin strips of coloured paper
  • glue
  • scissors
  • cardstock
  • bamboo skewers in place of quilling tool

i coiled the long strips of paper by tightly winding it around a bamboo stick. my daughter helped here…

quill paper wrapped around bamboo stick

this creates a fairly tightly wound coil…

we made a bunch of these, then shaped them and placed glue along the edges. technically, i think i was supposed to glue the loose ends of the strip down as well. oh well, live, craft and learn :-)

quill paper coiled, shaped and glue

we created different designs by gluing these coils and shapes onto cardstock.

i made it:

quilled flower card

my daughter made it (a red winged black bird):

really fiddly but so much fun too! there is a texture and delicacy to them that can’t really be captured by photos.

this was our first attempt and we started with a couple of relatively simple designs. as with most things, there’s so much more we can learn. i will share some more intricate designs from a quilling enthusiast, to show how it is really done, next time. she also has some great tutorials. stay tuned for that in part 3

quilling quilled flower

what do you think of it? is quilling something you might try one day?

continue to part 3

This entry was posted in paper, tools, tips and techniques. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to quilling: how we made our cards – part 2 of 3

1. Your cards are beautiful! I love the openness of the quilled designs. Really terrific.

It’s clear you and your daughter are having lots of fun with quilling … red winged blackbird WOWEE!

Really lovely cards and so true that they are special being handmade. I enjoy making cards and reading cards and buying cards too … I am a paper hound and surprised that I’ve never tried quilling … that’s a ‘not yet’ ;)

thanks for taking us through it all Ana!

3. Madge says:

so dear! i admire the quilling – your daughter’s bird makes me smile! you know, maybe someday i would try it out…thanks for the tutorial in parts.

4. CA says:

As the lucky recipient of these beautiful cards, let me just confirm that it really is such a treat to receive a homemade card. You can practically feel the love in the paper flower petals and the little black bird wings. Just knowing that someone spent some of their precious time (and it is so precious!) doing something nice for you is really special. Thanks you two! :)

5. Awesome! My friends and I are getting together this year to make Christmas cards. Perhaps I will be able to try this out!

I love, love, love Momma and Me projects. *big grin!

I am so impressed! And yes, I do want to try this!

8. imadeitso says:

thank you all! and how sweet for the recipient to pop by! :D

impossibly alice ~ that’s a great idea to get together like that. like a quilting bee for cards.

corey ~ me too! :)

jess and anyone else who does try this ~ i’d love to see photos of the finished projects!

9. bonnie says:

YES. I will try this someday. Love it.

And I have been slowly awakening to the idea of making my own cards. I think I may try to do this more often.

10. Ann says:

What a perfect craft for you and your daughter to learn together – gives me the warm fuzzies just thinking about it. Your cards turned out so cute – first of many, I’m sure!

11. Pingback: quilling – ann martin & all things paper: part 3 of 3 | i made it so.

12. imadeitso says:

bonnie, you make your own stamps, you could use that!

ann, thank you. doing these things with kids does make it more special. they see things in a different way and i usually end up learning something new from them.

13. Halima says:

Ana, this is very interesting. I have never seen this art form, although I have seen many things made with paper. I think my oldest girl might like this, she likes intricate detailed work, we will have to give this a try.
    Your daughter’s card turned out so beautifully!

14. Pingback: quilling: the art of paper filigree – part 1 of 3 | i made it so.

15. Pingback: quilled fail whale revealed | i made it so.

I DO remember the precious red winged blackbird…it’s all coming back to me now…moving on to Part Three…just because :)