answering some questions about my new header

to make the image for my header, i used the adobe ideas application on an ipad and doodled it. actually, i started with the original drawing i had made using ideas, in the summer:

original adobe ideas doodle image imadeitso.com

(look at me all smug in my garden! the doodle was a bit rough, i was just learning.)

then i updated it for fall, used a little bit of photoshop to carry the grass and leaves across the bottom of the image, and to resize the image to fit the header space. here is the final doodle:

ana twitter background image

* note: i added some side-swept bangs, because i got a haircut and i’m all about accuracy here ;-)

a cartoon artist/twitter friend, eric orchard, said that adobe ideas is like…

… the equivalent of having a napkin and a pen everywhere you are. It’s not perfect control but it’s really handy.

i agree. it was a bit fiddly at first for me, as i tried to get a feel for the features, resizing the page, zooming in/out. i also found i had to exaggerate some of the strokes because it smoothes out your lines (you’ll know what i mean if you use it — i believe the feature is called “vector smoothing”). but it is simple and a lot of fun to use.

i saved the image and edited the exposure in flickr (picnik) to make the colours darker. i could have done that originally in ideas by using a more opaque setting, but the original was a lot fainter, so this was a simpler solution. then i uploaded it to wordpress as the new header image.

i did the same thing to write the blog title as well.

i believe adobe ideas is available as a free iphone app as well. i haven’t tried that though. you all know about my cell phone

speaking of which, i’m not very comfortable in the realm of technical/digital things, but this was easy enough for me, so i thought i’d share the process with those of you out there who asked or who might be curious to try it out.

here are the links for the free, adobe ideas app:

adobe ideas – for iPhone

adobe ideas – for iPad

you can see some of my other doodles using adobe ideas, here:

the news

yogurt commercials

count on family to keep it real (i kinda like this one)

This entry was posted in 2D art, my doodles & drawings, tools, tips and techniques and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to answering some questions about my new header

you should go into business designing blog headers and logos. Really!! You are very talented, Ana :)

2. Your header is so unique -and so “you”! My doodles never look anything like yours and definitely not worthy of making a header out of lol Fabulous job!

thank you SO much for my morning laugh. everytime i think i’ve caught up on all your past posts, you link something i’ve never seen. and making a preggo laugh in the morning, well–that’s saying something.
    and you know what i realized looking at your doodles? my middlest is ‘ava’ (so close to ana) and when she writes her name i always love the way she loops her last ‘a’ around backwards….just like you (and me) :) are you a lefty?

no, not a lefty. but i know some lefties who are super creative and artistically inclined, so i’m sure there is something to that. are you a lefty? hope you feel better soon, at least in the mornings :)

• googiemomma says:

haha…well, with that intro (“super talented and artistically inclined”)…
        yes, i admit it. i am a lefty. a red-haired lefty. otherwise known as a freak of nature. :)

4. Alyssa says:

Very, very cool. Should I get an ipad or another pad something like it, I’ll definitely be giving the program a try. And look at how cute your doodle is, knitting and all.

5. Estivalia says:

Aw, I love this little “behind the scenes” story. Your header doodle is so cute.

And I totally envy you for having an iPad ;)

Cool I’ll have to get that iPad app! This is an amazing explanation! I’m going to tweet it for my WP pals. Speaking of apps, have you tried Tom Cat with your kids. Mine are obsessed. http://my.englishclub.com/video/hi-englishclub-friends

7. Awesome header! I have a doodle program for my iPhone, though not Adobe and I even got a stylus thinking that might help, but I haven’t really given it a good try yet. I’ll have to try it more thoroughly now!

oh i definitely need a stylus for the doodling. i find it hard to do with my finger. i wrote the title with my finger (that was hard enough) and the rest with a stylus.

8. Pingback: Tweets that mention answering some questions about my new header | i made it so. -- Topsy.com

9. That is so clever, I love it! I’m terrible at computers, I really need to have a play around & spruce up my blog header.

10. bonnie says:

Oooh, a free iPhone app, you say? I think you may have inspired me. To find the app and to make art like yours. :)

11. Kate says:

Are you serious!! That is fabulous.
    You are one clever and talented chooky and I am more tempted than ever to get myself an ipad. Have fun.

12. This was a wonderful, thorough explanation and I am going to bookmark it. I can’t wait to try! It’s so fun for me to see you melding doodling with technology in this way, and you make it seem like something I’d actually be able to do, too.

13. Alex says:

Very cute doodle, I love the fallen leaves :-)

14. imadeitso says:

thanks all! i’ve edited in the links to the free app in the original post, and here:

adobe ideas – for iPhone

adobe ideas – for iPad

let me know if you use it and how you like it.

I must say Ana, you are clever AND very talented!
    Fun hearing the dets too!

16. Meg says:

Hi Ana,

We *love* the work that you’ve done using Adobe Ideas. Send us an email. We’d like to post this blog posting to our FB page: http://www.facebook.com/adobeideas

We’re thrilled to see such talented people using this app.

-Meg

17. Mandy says:

Gorgeous header. Wish I could draw or doodle as well as that! It’s a cute picture to boot! I don’t own any of the Ip…. gadgets so will have to just live through you & yours. lol

18. amy says:

your doodle is adorable! Thanks for the comment on my post!

19. ana pina says:

This is great, thank you for sharing!
    It’s really a wonderful idea to update your header along with time of the year ;)

20. Halima says:

Your ‘doodle’ is no mere doodle is it a work of art in itself and very unique and I really like the added bangs too. I had always wondered how you did that, thanks for the story.

21. Melanie says:

I love your ‘doodle’ ( hard to say that in Aus with a straight face, as it has a very diff meaning – think male anatomy). I have now found my favourite iphone app!!! So much better than any of the other free doodle apps and I love being able to transfer it to my pc easily and then play with the image in photoshop.

22. Pingback: weekend in a nutshell – text only version | i made it so.

23. Pingback: free pdf of craft supply labels | i made it so.

24. Pingback: 2010 in a nutshell… | i made it so.

25. Pingback: something i’ll do more of in 2011. | i made it so.