what (not) to do with an old cheese dome.

this could also be called: how i didn’t make it so.

you’ve seen them. especially if you’ve been in thrift stores and such. usually made of a teak base, with a glass cover. popular in the 70’s and 80’s. there has been a strong resurgence of these recently, with many great tutorials shared in blog land explaining how to repurpose these cheese domes. (clicking any of those links will take you to a blog post with photos of how others have transformed cheese domes into fancy “cloches” — apparently a staple in the home decorating world.)

i even contemplated it myself, months ago, as i finally found one of these at the store. remember?

cloche and heirloom white paint

it was a long time ago. heirloom white and i have a long history together

but sometimes, no matter how much you ponder something, you just can’t go forward with the idea. i couldn’t put my finger on why not. but it just didn’t feel right. it didn’t feel like… me.

my cheese dome sat in the garage for months. i could not spray paint it. which is nutty, because i’m constantly repainting things. but i just could not bring myself to make a cloche.

instead of filling up my cheese dome with decorative pears or bobbles or moss balls like i’ve seen in the magazines and those really lovely, immensely popular decor blogs… i knew i had to do something else instead.

i took my cheese dome, filled it up with dollar-store skulls, stuck it on the mantel next to the rat, and called it a day.

rat skulls cloche cheese dome

i love it!

i feel very much at peace with my decision (my life is so good, i know, when these are amongst the decisions i must make!).

because really? let’s be honest. not everything needs to be messed with so much. right?

mantel rat cloche cheese dome skulls reed diffuser lamps

if you celebrate it, happy hallowe’en! have a great weekend, all.

(note: past projects in photo above include the reed diffuser and wrought iron lamps)

This entry was posted in around the house, ideas & inspiration, thrifting & vintage and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to what (not) to do with an old cheese dome.

WTHeck is a cloche anyway? (lol) I like your idea. It’s not top heavy so it will probably last longer up there, don’t you think?

2. Angela says:

That’s perfectly ghoulish! Looks great and easy to boot!

3. I love what you’ve done. Wonder if I could get away with skulls on a daily basis? Nah, people might think I eat all my visitors, I guess. You know, I have a cheese dome that I picked up and haven’t made into a cloche. Partly because the bottom is marble. How the heck would I put a base on it that would hold it up?

yeah, it’d have to be a really wide base, maybe marble too that you could epoxy together…. as for the skulls? of course you could! ;) i think i should fill up some of my old mason jars with similar things and put them on the sill… maybe next year.

Love the skulls! I see a theme thing happening. Some beautiful Christmas balls could replace those heads in a few months.

5. Pingback: Tweets that mention what (not) to do with an old cheese dome. | i made it so. -- Topsy.com

add me to the list of people who bought an old cheese dome at the thrift shop and haven’t done ANYTHING to it….
    maybe we could start a renaissance….
    look at my cheese dome, made into a CHEESE DOME!
    haha
    now i’m thinking…you may just see that as my next blog post lol!

7. LOL! That’s perfect.

brilliant use of the cheese dome … what a cool mantle you have … the rat takes the cheese … you have me humming now

I was headed to the market today when my car ended up in the thrift store parking lot instead! just so happens everything in the store was 50% off … rutrow! I did have some fun … you have me keeping my eye out for a cheese dome now … thank you very much :)

Happy Trick or Treating!

9. First of all, I’m envious you get all these cool items at the thrift shop. When I’m back in the U.S. I’m going to have to try to find one. Any tips? How do you find a favorite thrift shop? Second, I agree – this is good, as is! I like it! It’ll be easy to change up from season to season.

i think it really does depend on the area you live. i’ve heard similar comments about ones just a few hours from here within the country. any tips? i think that depends on what degree of “thrift” you’re searching for and what you’re seeking (both how used an item is, how good a deal you’re looking for, and the state of the actual store itself!), but getting out there and getting a feel for each is a good start … i’m writing a post about that, may be a while, but do stay tuned :)

10. Ha! LOL Sometimes you just have to go with what works!

11. Pingback: words and drawings on rocks | i made it so.

12. Jacqueline says:

Very clever! I definitely like that you stuck with the simple solution. Cheap too — those dollar store skulls look awesome and it barely cost you anything! Thanks for sharing this with me. I might have to mimic you when Halloween rolls around :)