- 1 tbsp butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 bunch of leeks, white part only, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 1/4 cup wine (optional, white or red; if using wine, omit the cream or it will curdle.)
- salt and pepper if desired
note: to chop the leeks, i cut off the green parts, then slice the white parts lengthwise into quarters…
- in a large saucepan, melt the butter or heat the oil, then add the crushed garlic, stir. add the chopped leeks and peas and stir til they begin to soften.
- pour in the chicken stock, stir and let sit covered on low to medium heat to let the vegetables cook and fully soften.
- in a food processor or blender, purée the mixture until no large visible bits remain.
- return the purée into the saucepan, and stir in the cream, and if you wish, the wine.
- cook on low heat until the desired consistency is obtained (longer for a thicker soup)
- add salt and pepper if you wish.
now here is the tricky part. this soup is simple, fairly quick, and delicious (if you like leeks, peas, creamy soups, and such). but… it looks like green goop. so the key is in the presentation.
for the final reveal, you get to choose your own adventure! (don’t ever say i don’t let you guys have any fun…)
to see ana attempt to make the green goop look pretty by using plain yogurt and parsley as a garnish, view this photo:
oh no! you get attacked by the bad lighting and ridiculous amounts of soft focus! ~ the end.
to see whether an alien would enjoy this green goop, view these photos:
you are so clever. the alien loves the soup and tells the mother ship not to destroy earth after all! you save the day, hurray! ~ the end.© imadeitso, 2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to ana at imadeitso.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.