kids made it so: counting down the days

“how many more sleeps mommy?”

that’s a question often heard in this home. over the years, we’ve made different versions of count-down calendars to help answer this question. just the other day, my friend tara, said they draw a picture each day, and hang them on a thread up the stair railing. i love that idea!

here’s another simple idea…

a paper chain, counting down the days to a big event. each day is a ring on the chain. each morning, they rip one link and count the ones remaining.

count down paper chain kids craft

we made this one out of a christmas flyer. we cut long strips of paper, bringing the ends together to make a loop and taping it closed. then slipping the next strip inside the loop already made, and so on.

i added numbers to this one (the number can be the day of the month, or it can be the # of days or sleeps until the event). and also added other plans and events that are happening between now and then.

count down advent calendar paper chain

it’s funny how as parents, we’re constantly wishing for more hours in the day. as kids, they want time to hurry up! this is a simple idea to help little ones grasp the passage of time. because waiting can be hard, especially when you’re so young…

one more sleep! paper chain

This entry was posted in kids made it so, paper and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to kids made it so: counting down the days

I love this! You’re so right. We want to slow down and they want to hurry up. One year we made a paper chain of all of our family members that we would be missing over Christmas. (We were living in Penticton and not even traveling to our family in Vancouver that year, so there were plenty of members!) It was a good way to teach the kids all of their aunties and uncles and cousins names, especially now that Christmas cards are not as popular. I long to send out Christmas cards via snail mail again. I remember how my mom used to spend weeks writing personal notes for all of her Christmas cards. One day…

2. We would make paper “countdown” chains as well but I never thought about adding an activity with it. Great idea.

So sweet! I miss the magic of counting down to Christmas. I definitely have no excitement for the Holiday to come, to be honest. Stopped being a kid, and I have no kids :)

Does having kids bring back the spark in your heart, even a little?

well, my experience has been that i do things i wasn’t previously inspired to do, i see things that i wouldn’t normally see, and i appreciate things in a new light. and sometimes, i see a little part of myself (a younger, less cynical, more eager version) there, and that’s just an amazing thing.

so i’d say, yes :)

Everything you do with your kids makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. My kids just look at the calendar. LOL I need to do more stuff like this with them.

5. Estivalia says:

that is so cute! I can’t wait for christmas either (mainly because my finals end on the 18th and I SO need a rest heh heh :)

btw, I love your new banner!

6. Alyssa says:

Ana, this is a lovely idea! It’d be great fun for me, too. ;)

7. what a nice idea. waiting can be hard for grown ups too :)

8. Marti says:

Cute :) I made a fabric calendar last year, my little girl’s first Christmas. Each day of December has a pocket with the number, an ornament and a treat. For now, my daughter puts the ornament on the little tree sitting next to the calendar and my husband eats the treat ;)

that sounds so sweet, marti. i’ve always wanted to make a fabric one.. but it seems to slip off the end of the to-do list each year. i’ll probably finally sit down and make one once the kids have left this nest… wahhhh! ;)

I love your idea. So simple and it reminds me of a paper garland on a christmas tree, which I hope we will still make ;)
    couldn’t help but notice this adorable elf on a swing in the background? Is that also from the village people? ;)
    Please tell me where I can get one?
    xoxo

10. I love this idea! I wish we could have done this when I was young :)

11. Angela says:

Very nice! And I’m so glad you get my frying pan Baby Jesus humor!

my mother always said “just wait until you get older…time flies”
    YES it’s true!
    precious way to help your little ones count how many sleeps ;)

13. Lindsay Ann says:

That is SUCH a good idea! You are fabulously creative (and I know as a kid I would have loved it).

14. Lovely post, lovely site. We like to count down to Christmas using an Advent calendar (I made them myself when the children were small) and the Advent wreath (a candle for each week of Advent, so by Christmas Eve, you have four candles all of different heights). We also had a little wooden manger a local carpenter made for us. Every time one of the children did a “good deed”, we would put straws in the manger, making as comfortable a bed as possible for Baby Jesus. On Christmas morning, a doll wrapped in swaddling clothes would be in the manger beneath the tree.

15. Pingback: weekend in a nutshell | i made it so.