barely a chicken

i’ve been following illustration friday ever since a reader told me about it here (thanks nancy!). each friday, a prompt is announced and artists submit their interpretation throughout the following week.  this week’s topic, “chicken” sounded like a taunt to me. i finally decided to jump in.

i kept it as simple as i could. my goal was to try and capture the image of a chicken using as few details as possible.

chicken line drawing

did i get it? could i have done so with less? i’m not sure. it was an interesting exercise, to try and express with a single continuous line the bare minimum that makes a chicken… a chicken.

all the illustration friday submissions can be seen here.

This entry was posted in 2D art, my doodles & drawings and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to barely a chicken

1. 'Joyce' says:

*b-kerk* it’s a lovely chicken. Gosh, I wouldn’t know where to begin. Love it.

I think the only way you could have done it with less would have been drawing a hen instead of a rooster. Wow, I saw over 600 entries. Could not look at them all but what a neat site!!

3. caren says:

Congrats on your first Illustrated Friday! I keep meaning to start doing their prompts, but haven’t gotten there yet.
    And I adore your minimalistic rooster! I love its continuous line.

4. Alyssa says:

Oh good; you entered! Looks just like a chicken {rooster} to me. :) It also kind of reminds me of those really cool shaped paper clips you see sometimes.

5. Reminds me of a Picasso bird. Lovely.

Very cool. I love this kind of challenge that brings talented people together. I have a few students who might be interested in taking part. Thanks for sharing!

Your bird could easily be a restaurant sign. I can see it in neon yellow with the first letter of the name (a capitol letter) filling in between the leg and wattle. Then the rest of the name would be a scripty font to the right of the chicken…does that make sense? If I ever open up a chicken joint I will contact you. I’ve been a vegetarian for 20 + years but, you just never know.

This reminds me of your mice vs bunnies post ;)
    Love the chicken. Great minimalistic look.
    And you must be so flattered with the Picasso compliment ;)
    It is well deserved. Great stuff miss Ana.
    xo

9. Victoria says:

I think it looks lovely, though I am partial to chickens. :) I agree with Alyssa about the paper clip look – or I think it would make a great wire sculpture! Or something out of brushed stainless steel, or something.

what a neat idea!

It does indeed look like a chicken I can almost hear it cackle…pausing to remember what chickens say heehee

You have amazing graphic design skills- you nailed it!

13. Pingback: saturday at the rink & jean jacques sempé | i made it so.