the weekend in a nutshell

i put a new project on the needles. this one is due by friday, i’m not sure i can make it in time…

knitting purple yarn

and i’ve been catching up on some reading. not exactly light subject matter, but i’m filling in the gaps left by my formal education. ever learn something and wonder how you never knew about it ’til now? i’ve had a few of those moments these past couple of weeks.

books about ww2

anne frank: the diary of a young girl. i’m not sure how this wasn’t required reading through school. i think it should have been.

churchill at war: written from the memoirs of lord moran, churchill’s personal physician, friend and almost constant companion. really interesting insight to decisions made behind closed doors.

promise you’ll take care of my daughter by ben wicks (i remember ben wicks as the cartoonist whose drawings i’d see in the toronto star, but he was also an author who wrote a number of books before passing away in 2000.) this book is about the canadian war brides who left their family and lives behind in britain and other parts of europe to start a new life in canada. the story is told by surviving war brides sharing their experiences as they fell in love with canadians serving overseas during world war two, and how these women, many with children, made the difficult and sometimes treacherous journey to an unknown land thousands of miles away. they describe how they were welcomed (or not) to canada, and how they adjusted to the realities that lay ahead. it’s an interesting peek into another time — not so long ago, actually — when the desperation of war prompted thousands to live in the moment and seek a better life. whether or not that better life ever happened, it was fascinating to read about these women’s spirit and their determination to “make it so.”

~*~

© imadeitso, 2011.Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to ana at imadeitso.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
This entry was posted in books, weekend in a nutshell, WIPs, yarn and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to the weekend in a nutshell

1. Lovely stitch definition on that project! Diary of Anne Frank was required reading for me in 8th grade. Then I took a special Holocaust class in high school from an award winning teacher and we were assigned Night by Elie Wiesel which was another good read on the topic.

2. 'Joyce' says:

Ana, I love the colours you have on your needles today. I hope you get to finish your project in time. As for your reading material. I picked up The Joy Luck Club on the weekend, which has been in my bookcase since ‘forever’ unread. So far so very good, now I just need a few snuggly cool nights of *ahem* nothing to do, lol, to finish it.

i haven’t read that one. i think it got so hugely popular and then the movie came out, and i ignored it intentionally. i don’t know why i tend to do that. i usually go back to things once the hype dies down… let me know what you think of it when you’re done. and thanks, about the knitting. the recipient has a thing for purple :)

3. Alyssa says:

The books sound interesting, and yes. I know what you mean about learning things. That tends to happen more than expected while homeschooling. It’s amazing the things you never learned in high school or even college. Best of luck finishing your project!

i bet it would, with homeschooling. i think there might be more flexibility there too, so you can go off and explore a topic in more detail or scope than a traditional class setting would allow.

4. Sheri says:

Love the grape and lilac. I envy your knitting skill.
    I haven’t heard of that Wicks book. Sounds interesting. Thanks for
    sharing.

5. good luck on your friday deadline. anne frank was required reading for me too, although i can’t recall which year. (joyce,) joy luck club was also required reading for me in high school.
    it’s interesting to see how required reading varies across the country.

That last book sounds so interesting!

you are busy busy Ms Ana
    too bad you can’t read AND knit at the same time
    OR are you??? ;)

8. I haven’t read any of the above books. All the books sound interesting. Currently reading Penelope’s Daughter by Laurel Corona, as story about Odysseus and Penelope’s daughter, Xanthe as a child and growing up on the island of Ithaca. My daughter is named after Penelope, so of course I needed to read this :) So far very good.

I just finished Crazy All the Time: life, lessons, and insanity of the psych word of Bellevue Hospital, true stories of a head department psychologist and his interns, fascinating read!

Always looking for good books, thanks!

Victoria
    OsoVictoria.com

i’ve got so many books i want to read and probably not enough time to read them all, and yet i’m always looking for more book recommendations. thanks for sharing, victoria.

Promise You’ll Take Care of My Daughter sounds like a great book. I’m off to Amazon now….