what i’m planting: mapping out my garden

joyce asked what i was planting, and it was just the kick i needed to map out my garden. when i wander into the garden center asking for help or suggestions, i always wish i had some sort of layout to show them. it’s not quite to scale, and as with all gardens, a constant work in process.

as i was sketching it out, i realized i’ve written about so many of the little spots you see on the map: the old pine treethe circle of rocks, a bit of dirt, the trilliumsthe clover patch

as for the little herb garden, it was over-run and there were hyacinths and tulips in there competing for space. i took everything out and replanted the flowers elsewhere, leaving the herbs all in one spot on the deck just outside my kitchen. next i’m tackling the back where i want to plant some local wildflowers and other perennials.

thanks for asking, joyce!

garden map

{click photo to enlarge}

This entry was posted in green thumb, my doodles & drawings and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to what i’m planting: mapping out my garden

I -love- this drawing of your garden, and it’s a very wise idea for garden center shopping. My favorite thing to garden: herbs! So many uses, so easy to start from seed, so prolific…yum…

thanks van! i tried growing parsley from seed last year but they were so spindly thin that they didn’t survive once i transplanted in the dirt. but you’re right, many herbs do well from seed. it’s so rewarding to grow and use them in cooking.

Some day I wish to be this organized! I am planting like crazy this year but it feels chaotic. Time to map it out!

i’ve planted willy nilly over the years, filling in bald spots and so on. now that it’s a bit more established, i’m seeing more how certain plants would do better elsewhere, and which spots need more attention and so on. willy nilly is fun, you can always reorganize later :)

3. Your outdoor space looks so friendly and I’m totally jealous of the lilacs and magnolia!

Gardening is one of those things that I really wish I had the time and energy to learn to love it, and I intend to cultivate (haha) that desire to have a vegetable and herb garden someday… someday when we’re living somewhere that the summer growing season climate is a little friendlier than central Alberta’s ;)

thanks sarah… yeah, it’s a really short growing season eh? i was surprised how much you can grow in a little space, but yeah, it takes work. you’ll do it when it feels right and when you can dedicate the time for it :)

4. Camille says:

I loved your comment. I was having a junky day before I read your reply. I think we could sit in the pub and make each other laugh all day! They call pubs ‘bars’ here though, I like the sound of pubs much better.

5. i love planning the garden. it’s the gardening i have trouble with at the best of times because i could be crafting instead. :D

6. Lindsay Ann says:

WOW. My gardening includes getting the Newf to plant a few tulips.

Good luck with the green!

7. Pingback: small veggie garden, v. 2.0 | i made it so.

8. Pingback: what the breeze tells me… | i made it so.