gifts from the garden

i’ve been a terrible gardener lately. i’ve neglected my small garden, no watering for almost a week. the days have been scorchers, without a single drop of rain. and yet, my garden gave me this yesterday…

garden veggies and herbs

not entirely deserved, but i’ll take these gifts, thank you.

i’ll be spending the week ahead digging out the weeds, training the cukes away from the other veggies and onto the lattice (the curly tendrils had quite the grasp on the nearby tomato and pepper plants), and giving it a bit of my attention again.

i’ll also be sharing a cool and easy summer recipe using some of the ingredients above.

i’m sharing this post at

This entry was posted in green thumb. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to gifts from the garden

there’s something so cute about that one little grape tomato. hmmm…shall we cut it and put it on sandwiches? simply eat it in one bite? so many options :o)

our garden has begun producing…we enjoyed the first fruits yesterday–yellow squash and zucchini, roasted and salted–yum.

2. Well that is quite a harvest for neglect, I’m impressed!, looking forward to your next recipe, yum!

3. Beth says:

Hi! You should be where I am, we’ve had enough rain to turn me moldy. But I can’t complain it keeps the temps down.
    Good luck with the garden. There’s nothing quite like eating something you’ve grown.

Welcome back, Ana. XOXO

5. erin says:

Yummy, yummy. It was so hot today that our cherry tomatoes were hot when we pulled them off the vine. More like stewed tomatoes. Still, you’ve got to be satisfied growing your own food.

6. 'Joyce' says:

oh yum, I can almost taste that sweet summery freshness. We are hooking into mandarines, avocados, oranges, baked dinners, soups, and all things cosy at our place. It’s wonderful to be reminded of some of the wonders that summer brings.

7. What a harvest! I love that you said “not entirely deserved, but i’ll take these gifts, thank you” because that is exactly how I felt about our peas! LOL! Sparkle actually discovered them when I asked her to pull out all the dead plants! I don’t know how they survived, but there they were! :) Can’t wait to see what you cook up!

8. i am pretty impressed ! i love how there is a single, tiny tomato.

9. Jo Chopra says:

The endlessly forgiving nature of nature . . . I hope she keeps it up. We all have a lot to make up for.

And are those HOT peppers? What do you do with them?

the large pepper is sweet, the small dark ones are hot and delicious. not burn-your-ears off hot, but just enough spice that you get that zing and can still enjoy the flavour. i use them in pasta sauce, chilli, tacos etc… and when the tomatoes are ripe i make salsa that we enjoy through the winter. last night, we couldn’t resist. i sliced up a pepper super-thin, put it on a cracker with a slice of cheese. so good.

I am learning that certain things can take neglect and seem to thrive on it: oregano, sage, rosemary, chives, thyme and any of the mints. I planted the saddest little sage late in the fall last year, thinking it would never survive the clay soil and the winter temps. It seemed like it shot up a foot a day in the early spring- it is one of the largest plants in my garden now. I wish everything would grow with such vigor!

I’m surprised your cuke survived though. If I don’t water mine at least every other day they shrivel up and blow away. Your bounty is beautiful and I look forward to your recipe.

you’re right, and i’m sure it’s regional too, depending on the soil and so on. my sage and thyme aren’t doing so well…chives and oregano have taken over! as for my cukes, i think their extra-large leaves helped protect them from the heat of the sun.

11. Sarah says:

What a lovely little harvest… and I’d be eating that tomato in one bite, too :)

Hope you’re enjoying your summer, Ana!

YUM
    how colorful and fun!
    that one cherry tomato really pops in your display/array

Lovely new blog header too…makes me want to dip my toes in ;)

13. Cassy says:

So much lovely green! :) Nice work.

14. Melinda says:

I understand about garden neglect – it doesn’t stand in front of me and demand food and attention like my children!

15. Lindsay Ann says:

I love that your cukes (I originally spelled it kooks, heh) have some extra curl. It looks good on them! :)

Hi Ana. This looks great.
    I’m looking forward to my tomatoes this year – keeping my fingers crossed ;)
    But after living in our house for 3 1/2 years – I gave up on a real garden. We have too much shade in the backyard ;( which is lovely in this heat ;) – so there is a happy face after all!
    xo

PS. I love the new header photo!
    Where is this honey??? Anyplace I would know ;)

18. That’s sure nice- and what incentive to get you back out in the garden. :-)