camping in october

i’ve written before about camping through the summer months. camping in october is a very different experience. the campsites are mostly deserted and there is an audible and visible stillness in everything.

camping in october

yes, it gets chilly. but it makes those evenings around the fire that much cozier. and it makes you really appreciate that you finished knitting that hat just in time.

mr.madeItSo and me

{alpaca wool hat, pattern on ravelry, yarn was a gift from mr.madeItSo.}

the surprise as we checked into our campsite was that there was a hallowe’en trick or treat evening planned. thanks to the local small-town dollar and grocery stores, we were able to scrounge up some costumes and treats for all the little critters that came through our campsite.

little critter

we camped with family, and my niece asked me to knit her a hat just like mine. there is no bigger compliment you can give a knitter like me than she did with that little request. and so, in the late afternoon as the shadows grew longer and the air cooled down, i cast on a new project. the very same hat, also in alpaca, in a different colour.

earlier, she was telling me that it’s frustrating when she goes to highschool and sees someone else wearing the exact same thing she is wearing. well, when it comes to handmade, no two things are identical. and this hat is no exception. same pattern, same yarn, but each stitch is a little different. and this one just might have a lingering camp-fire smell.

knitting and camping

(sorry jules…that should come out in the wash.)

This entry was posted in weekend in a nutshell and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to camping in october

1. Abby says:

wow your hat is perfect! I always imagine anything i knit coming out lumpy and crooked haha. You are inspiring.

What a perfect story to wake up to on this misty morning. Thank you, Ana. I have a clear mind now and can start my work day! You and Mr. Imadeitso look exactly as you did in high school. I think this blog helps show how you stay so young!

This is awesome! A snuggly kind of camping trip sounds very nice ;)
    Your hat is beautiful – love the pattern and the grey colour – – teach me please!
    I knit in straight lines only ;( lol

ps. cute pic of you guys ;)

4. Sheri says:

Camping in the summer can feel like moving to the city in a busy park. It’s great that you braved the cool nights and had a different experience.
    Your hat turned out nicely.

I adore your hat :) And I got to break out the beautiful scarf you made me last year for the first time last weekend!

So great to see a picture of you! I like to see what bloggers look like (not that I ever really put up any pics of myself on my blog, but hey….). I love the little trick or treaters! So cute. I never get any kids where I live, I’m too far out of town and too far off of the main road. And I’ve got too many barking dogs.

Love the hat!

Oh how cute, and trick or treating to boot.

8. Cassy says:

I’m thinking of camping this weekend (my first time in cold weather). Looks like it was fun and a lovely spot.

9. Dvora G says:

You guys look great and I LOVE the hat. It came out fantastic.

I am working on a second hat right now as I finished a baby hat project while visiting my brother and it was promptly co-opted by him for a gift he needed to give. I am still in the process of hat take 2. :)

10. Sarah (mrsgryphon) says:

When we lived in Alberta, if we had camped (in the mountains, where we always went camping) in October we would have had to take our shovels with us to dig our way out of the snow. It occurred to me last week, now that we live in southern Ontario again, that our camping season just got extended by at least 6 weeks :) Glad you had a great weekend. And I’m pretty sure that our little family will be planning some fall camping next year, too!

11. Pingback: hallowe’en ideas | i made it so.

12. Pingback: julia’s hat | i made it so.