comfort zone (and an announcement)

i’ve been playing around with different motifs from my stitch guide book. i got the book as a gift soon after i got married [insert echo-y "one meeellion years ago" here].  it shows different stitches and patterns for all different weights of yarn. i wanted to make something comfy cozy out of that baby alpaca yarn, and i think i’ve finally settled on the motif i want to use. it’s called “cascading leaves”…

i get a little commitment-phobic when it comes to new projects that i’m making up. it’s not like following a pattern where you have a pretty photo of the finished product so you know what you’re getting into. but i like the idea of trying out something new, making it up as i go along. i guess knowing what it will look like before knitting it comes with experience. i still think of myself as a beginner but maybe it’s time i pushed myself a little, you know?

the good thing about favourite yarns is that if what you knit doesn’t turn out to be quite what you wanted, you can always unravel and try something else (after the obligatory cursing for time wasted, and the obligatory thankfulness that no one was around to see you tantrum and throw your project to the corner of the room, declaring “knitting is for jerks!*” — what? and you thought knitting was all zen and good times?).

* true words, thanks to C. you know who you are.

we’ll see how this turns out. it’s going to be a cowl.  here’s another cowl i’ve knit (you have to be on ravelry to view the pattern in that link)…

if you are on ravelry, let me know and i’ll come by and see what you’ve been making.

and, because i’m curious… how have you stepped out of your own creative comfort zone lately?

p.s. last april, i announced i was going to put myself out of another comfort zone when i asked for nominations for the canadian weblog awards. thanks to everyone here who nominated me and helped get that ball rolling.  this morning, the winners were announced.  i didn’t win, i came in 2nd place. of course i’m a little disappointed, but i’m also reminded of that bit by seinfeld…out of all the losers, i came in first! i’m the #1 loser ;-) carrying on…

This entry was posted in yarn and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to comfort zone (and an announcement)

1. Googiemomma says:

awwww ana. you’ll always be the #1 loser in my book.

(teehee…love that bit by seinfeld. and the mattress on the roof bit?” I got it I got it”

I think you’re far from a beginner knitter! can’t wait to see how it turns out.

2. Abby says:

Congratulations! It’s so great to be recognized for what you do.

congrats! second place is nothing to belittle!!!!

Sorry you didn’t come in first! You are #1 winner in our eyes. I must check out Lifeologia, though. It must be amazing. :) Hugs.

5. Ana, coming in #2 on a contest like that is certainly something to proud of!

As for seeing something in your mind before knitting it – even with experience it can surprise you sometimes :-) In some ways I think that may be one of the things I enjoy most about designing knits. Nearly every project brings me to one new and unexpected challenge or another that often involves stretching my skill set at least a little bit. I can’t wait to watch your cowl take shape!

hey kristi, thanks for stopping by with your perspective from the other side, as an experienced knitter and published knitwear designer. you’re right, no two knit projects are ever exactly the same (which can be a problem when you go to make that second sock!). that’s all part of the charm of handknit though right?

6. ~*~ Patty says:

What a brilliant outlook you have dear Ana
    Congratulations!!!
    AND in my book you are THE #1 winner

from someone who cannot knit I am more than impressed at you venturing out without a pattern…the yarn is pretty and must be really soft too!

OK my creative stretching sounds more like a confession here:
    I signed up for Misty Mawn’s (brilliant artist that I admire so so much) on line Open Studio class (it follows her UNFURLING book) anyway she is offering SO much and the stretching part for me is overcoming a lifetime of saying “I can’t draw” … I have tried a couple of sketches and surprised myself…but now (life did get in the way on several fronts) I am frozen/stuck … the class is open til next January but still … in the end it comes down to practice…practice…practice
    well thank you for letting me “confess” here
    oftentimes when I say I haven’t been doing something I turn around and DO IT (channeling my inner teenager perhaps?)

I am setting a goal of getting busy when we return from our getaway in Feb
    thanx again (I guess I could take a little sketchbook along…hmmm)…
    you really got me going here *ggg*

channeling your inner teen! just don’t forget to shower ;) i’m so glad you took the plunge and tried something new. you CAN draw, and now you’ll just learn to draw more and eventually better! and yes, pack that sketchbook… along with that teacup!

7. SixBalloons says:

Congrats! Number two is pretty darn good!

8. beetree says:

You definitely don’t need a contest to say what is obvious…you are the best! And besides, second in something like this is still amazing! :)

As far as trying something new/unknown- I am trying to be more like my 11 year old. She jumps on the computer, prints out a pattern, and gets to work. She doesn’t consider that she can’t do it. So for Christmas, she crocheted: a Hello Kitty purse (with lining!), 2 Hello Kitty beanies, regular beanies, a granny square scarf and a regular scarf. She had not done anything like these projects before, and the purse was a challenge (I know, I made one after her, and the pattern was a little faulty. I ended up redoing mine a few times!).

Can’t wait to see pictures of your project- I know it will be lovely! ;)
    P.S. Thanks for the sweet comment today!

thank you! you’re right. and you know, mr.madeItSo said the same thing today… “you don’t need external validation,” to which i replied “of course i do, why do you think i blog?!” ;-) clearly, i was joking, but as with most jokes, there is a grain of truth there too. not so much for validation, but for the need to be understood. i think it’s universal to those who write.

very cool attitude your 11 year old has…no fear to try!

9. Beth says:

Pretty! And yes, I’ve stepped out of my comfort zone. I’m knitting my first shawl, the Live Oak Shawlette found in Knitscene Fall 2011, designed by Rosemary (Romi) Hill. I love it.

hi beth, i read what you wrote yesterday about thinning out your projects. i enjoyed that. the central park hoodie is wonderful! i’m looking forward to your first shawl.

10. heather says:

congrats on your win:) yes, i think 2nd place is still a win:) and love love love seinfeld :) and thanks for adding a new project to my queue!! it is over 950…i need to clean it out! :)

thanks heather! it’s funny you mentioned your long queue of projects, i just mentioned to beth (comment above you) that i enjoyed her thoughts on thinning out that want-to-do list. check out her blog post, it might speak to you :)

11. Pingback: comfort zone cowl ~ finished | i made it so.

Congrats my dear! We both made it – and I kind of suck because I heard about the cwa from you ;(
    Anyways, it’s not like the Oscars where it’s life changing. ;P
    You keep up doing what you do because you are very inspiring. I wish I could knit like you – your cowl is absolutely beautiful! ;D
    xo Ella

you heard about the cwa’s from me? hah! i gotta be more discreet. well, a brief blog post about how you are standing on the shoulders of giants will suffice. let me know where i can send you my glossy 8×10 to post alongside ;) no worries ella, and congrats again!