edible fruit arrangement

my birthday falls over the holidays, and for the last few years, i’ve asked for an edible arrangement instead of the usual birthday cake. i think by the time the holidays hit, i’m overloaded with the offers of sugary treats. i also love how we can pick away at the fruit over a couple of days, and the way it’s arranged is cute and makes it perfect for a special occasion like a birthday pour moi ;)

this year, my daughter asked for an edible arrangement for her birthday. and while she still got a cake for all her guests (thanks to gramma for the wonderful cake!), i decided to try and make my own fruit arrangement for her.

edible fruit arrangement

i washed all the fruit, then cut a cabbage to fit into the bottom of a basket. this was the base into which i arranged the skewers of fruit.

cabbage base for edible arrangement

i loaded up the skewers with fruit (just as you would for kebabs) and used different lengths of skewers to shape the arrangement. i was making it up as i went, and honestly, it was so easy and fun. and if it wasn’t a surprise, i would have involved the kids in the process too (just watch the sharp end of those skewers!).

once all the skewers were in, i covered the cabbage base with some blackberries and blueberries.

fruit kebab skewered into a cabbage base

i cut out the numbers for the birthday out of pineapple and that was pretty much it…

edible fruit arrangement

it made a nice centrepiece…

fruit arrangement

and everything (minus the cabbage) got gobbled up pretty quickly.

This entry was posted in ideas & inspiration, in the kitchen, tools, tips and techniques, vegetarian recipes and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to edible fruit arrangement

1. feresaknit says:

i think these are a great idea and beats eating cake or chocolate when you feel like you’ll just burst if you have another piece! ;D

2. Abby says:

aw the 10 out of pineapple is so cute!! Great idea.

3. Sarah (mrsgryphon) says:

That is so fun! Nice! I was just thinking I should do fruit kebabs for the kids for snack, they would probably get eaten much more quickly :)

P.S. coffee soon?!

4. ~*~ Patty says:

that is absolutely brilliant and yummy and what a sweet surprise it must have been!!!

I think the edible fruit arrangements are such a great idea…we have given a couple as gifts but I have never received one…yet

perhaps I’ll have to make my own thanks to inspiring you Mz Ana!

Happy Friday and Birthdays!

5. That was a courageous undertaking. It turned out fantastic! I love the using a cabbage as the base and the pineapple numbers.

6. beetree says:

That fruit looks sooo good! I’ve had a sinus infection and haven’t been able to taste anything for a week- it’s a very weird sensation. Your basket came out beautifully, and the pineapple numbers are a great idea!

Awesome NOM, Ana. :D

8. Beth says:

That looks great but with the sweet-tooth I have, I gotta have my cake!

Yummy and pretty ;)
    I got really excited when I saw the 10! Cool idea.
    The the cabbage base is brilliant ;D
    We made these years ago (before blogging) so I don’t have any photos of mine and I forgot about the fun of cutting up fruit into cute shapes is ~ and this sure looks like a great Spring dessert. We will have to make one very soon ;)
    Thanks. xoxo

10. Ann says:

Well done and really cute!

11. Rhonda C says:

what did you coat the fruit with to prevent it from turning colour after cut and making it so shiny?

hi rhonda, i didn’t do anything. i made the arrangement the morning of the event, covered it with plastic wrap and put it in our cold room. i guess you could use glazes, or i’ve heard that brushing cut fruit with citrus juice helps slow down discolouring.